Social Change Scholars (Student Affairs)
The University of Memphis awards the Social Change Scholars to Tennessee and border county residents, as well as out of state students who are eligible and demonstrate evidence of interest and participation in leadership growth activities. It is available to first‐time students and renewable for up to 4 years for students attending the main University of Memphis campus. Applicants must have applied and been accepted to the University of Memphis. Additionally, applicants selected to move forward in the process will be contacted via the email they provided by February 9th. Interviews will be held the week of February 19th.
Note: The scholarship cannot be combined with University‐wide academic scholarships, including Dean, Provost or Presidential scholarships.
1. Please complete application & attach a photo
2. Candidates must submit documentation that demonstrates their leadership background and a demonstrated commitment to service and social justice.
1. Renewable with maintenance of 2.75 cumulative GPA. Students must not earn below a 2.0 GPA in any semester to remain eligible.
2. Renewable each semester with the completion of all paperwork and other program responsibilities, including workshops, campus and community involvement, professional development activities, coursework, and speaker and program‐specific meeting attendance, as outlined and communicated by program staff each fall semester.
3. Recipient must enroll as a full‐time student during the fall and spring semester, completing at least 12 credit hours per semester and 24 hours annually. No scholarship will be available during summer classes.
4. Selected applicants must attend New Student Orientation (separate from student‐athlete orientation), Frosh Camp, and a retreat for incoming Emerging Leaders in the summer before their first semester. All dates will be communicated at the time of selection.
1. To be considered for the Social Change Scholars Program, help us understand your relevant views and experiences. Please answer ONE of the following questions. Limit your response to 500 words.
a. Choose an issue area or population (i.e. homelessness, youth education, immigration, etc.) for which you care deeply. Explain how you believe a group of dedicated college students could address the issue and bring about change.
b. Recall your most meaningful service-based experience, a time you were inspired to create positive change, or an impactful experience working with someone different from yourself. Describe what inspired your action, what you learned from the experience and how it influenced and/or shaped who you are today.
c. What do you think is the most important attribute of an effective ethical leader?
2. The Social Change Scholars Program provides enriching experiences to a selective group of dedicated students. What is your primary motivation for applying? Please tell us why this type of program is interesting to you and why you should be selected. Limit your response to 200 words.
Please upload a resume or list of activities highlighting your services experience(s).
Please submit your file as a .PDF or Word document.