Social Change Scholars (Student Affairs)
The University of Memphis awards the Social Change Scholars to Tennessee and border county residents, as well as out of state students who are eligible and demonstrate evidence of interest and participation in studying root causes of social issues, community service, and involvement in social change with non-profit organizations. It is available to first‐time students and renewable for up to 4 years for students attending the main University of Memphis campus. Applicants must have applied and been accepted to the University of Memphis. Additionally, applicants selected to move forward in the process will be contacted via the email they provided by February 8th. Group Interviews will be held on the University of Memphis campus on February 19th, 2019. Memphis-area students group interview will be from 9AM-12PM, students from outside of Memphis/Out-of-state will be held from 2PM-5PM. After group interviews, selected students will submit a 5-minute video answering a variety of questions about their personal experiences.
Note: The scholarship cannot be combined with University‐wide academic scholarships, including Dean, Provost or Presidential scholarships.
1. Please complete application & attach a photo
2. Candidates must submit documentation that demonstrates their leadership background and a demonstrated commitment to service and social justice. Please include names of organizations in which community service has been served, and the specific activities performed during the service experiences.
1. Renewable with maintenance of 2.75 cumulative GPA.
2. Renewable each semester with the completion of program responsibilities, including workshops, campus and community involvement, 20 hours per semester of community service, professional development activities, coursework, and speaker and program‐specific meeting attendance, as outlined and communicated by program staff each fall semester.
3. Recipient must enroll as a full‐time student during the fall and spring semester, completing at least 12 credit hours per semester and 24 hours annually. No scholarship will be available during summer classes.
4. Selected applicants must attend New Student Orientation (separate from student‐athlete orientation), Frosh Fusion, and a retreat for incoming Social Change Scholars in the summer before their first semester. All dates will be communicated at the time of selection.
To be considered for the Social Change Scholars Program, help us understand your relevant views and experiences. Please answer BOTH of the following questions. Limit your response to 500 words.
1. Recall your most meaningful service-based experience, a time you were inspired to create positive change, or an impactful experience working with someone different from yourself. Describe what inspired your action, what you learned from the experience and how it influenced and/or shaped who you are today.
2. The Social Change Scholars Program provides enriching experiences to a selective group of dedicated students. What is your primary motivation for applying? Please tell us why this type of program is interesting to you and why you should be selected. Limit your response to 500 words.
Please upload a resume or list of activities highlighting your services experience(s).
Please submit your file as a .PDF or Word document.